Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Yes, it's pronounced "Butt Smear"

Okay, yesterday I was in Athens on UGA campus, trying to track down an employment record and personal testimony on a Subject.  After searching the Stegeman Coliseum to no avail, I was directed by a VERY tall young man (obviously a UGA basketball player - which as an aside I'll mention - it does not matter the age, playing level, team preference...I get completely STAR STRUCK around athletes or anyone *remotely* "famous").  So, as I was kicking myself for not getting sidetracked by asking him his name, number, an autograph, his jersey, his firstborn child, or whatever kind of crazy request I could come up with...I made my way across the street to the Rankin Bldg (per the suggestion of aforementioned athlete.  I'm totally convinced he was THE best player on UGA's team - whoever that may be because I don't follow UGA basketball.  But I just know HE was THE BEST and I didn't get his autograph.  Someday, I'll be seeing him on TV and going "Hey, I met him" and everyone will be all like "Yeah, right, Lisa.  That dude's even better than Jordan and YOU met him.  Suuuuure you did". And I'll be all like "Whatever.  Screw you.  He'll remember that Spring Day back in 2013 when the kind lady with the nice ombre hair color came up to him and asked him if there were any offices within the Coliseum.  Ask him!".  But I digress...). Anyway, I make my way into the Rankin Bldg and ask some random student-athletes (assuming, again, that they were athletes but Rankin is an Academic Support Services bldg, so it's a good assumption.  These guys weren't potential NBA'ers though, so no fanfare.  They were more than like bowlers.  Do universities have bowling teams...??? Nothing against bowling...I like to bowl.  But, again, I digress...).

So, I go knock on an office door and this nice lady answers.  I'm asking her where I can find the UGA Survey Research Office.  Like the 15 people I asked before her, she had never heard of it.  Then, she shifts in her seat and says, "Umm...you can try at the Human Resources Office".  And I say "Okay, can you direct me to it?", and grab my notebook to write down any info.  More shifting....followed by, "Yes...umm...it's in the Butt-Smear Building".

STOP-THE-PRESSES! 

She continues...."I know.  It's the most unfortunate name for a building.  I hate even saying it out loud.  It was named after two coaches, Butts and Meher"...

DON'T DO IT, LISA.  YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL, NOT A 15 YEAR OLD BOY.  DON'T EVEN MOVE.  DO NOT EVEN LIFT AN EYEBROW.  JUST KEEP WRITING...

AND....there I feel it...the rush of air...and then, the "Lisa wheeze", and I bring my head down, and grab my forehead, and laugh, all the while trying to maintain some dignity by not snorting or something.  I say "Yes, that is most unfortunate".  And then she laughs with me.

Now, the question I want to pose to you all....WHY on earth, no matter how good the coaches, how much money was given in each of their names, WHY put the "Butts" before the "Meher"?  WHY?????????????????????

WHYYYYYYYY????????????????????

After all, aren't mere butts better than butt smear??

No comments:

Post a Comment