Now I lay me down to sleep;
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
May angels watch me through the night;
And wake me in the morning light.
Amen
Then we go on to say, "God bless...." and name those we want God to bless. I still say this prayer and all the people that I've added and routinely pray for, still come so instinctively to my mind as I recite their names. Josie, though, she just cuts through all the fluff and says, "God bless everyone in the whole, wide world". After that, I always ask her if there's anything else she'd like to talk to God about (but to be sure and tell Him what she's thankful for first). Last night, it went down like this:
Josie: I wish that tomorrow is nice weather with no rain.
Me: How 'bout we say, 'Dear Lord, thank you for this day. Thank you for a great first day of school. Tomorrow, I pray it's a nice day so that I can go outside and play on the playground with my fr---
Josie, clearly not impressed: Do you want to do this, or let me?
And, apparently, her illusion that God is some sort of genie who grants wishes is holding steady, because today she came home from school and proudly proclaimed, "MY WISH CAME TRUE!!".
And the other exchange Josie & I had last night (before the prayer):
Josie: I've got a secret to tell you. But you CAN'T TELL ANYONE!
Me: Okay, I'm listening...
Josie: It's kind of embarrassing...
Me: Yeah? What is it?
Josie: I'm not sure I want to tell anyone...
Me: Oh boy...now, you HAVE to tell.
Josie: Okay. Well........alright, I'll tell.......but you have to keep it a secret.
Me: OKAY! I WILL!
Josie: I'm excited for school tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me: Well, that's good!
Josie: And I also like 1st grade. BUT DON'T TELL ANYONE!!!!!
Me: Okay, I'm listening...
Josie: It's kind of embarrassing...
Me: Yeah? What is it?
Josie: I'm not sure I want to tell anyone...
Me: Oh boy...now, you HAVE to tell.
Josie: Okay. Well........alright, I'll tell.......but you have to keep it a secret.
Me: OKAY! I WILL!
Josie: I'm excited for school tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me: Well, that's good!
Josie: And I also like 1st grade. BUT DON'T TELL ANYONE!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment