Pages

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

UPS, Jake the "Hero" and Mom, the "Zero" :-(.

Just wanted to give a shout out to UPS.  Last week, I was expecting an item I ordered online that I figured would leave very little to the imagination once delivered.  So, I left a note on the front door for UPS which said something like, "Please leave any packages around back at basement door.  Don't want any "little eyes" to see when they return home from school :-)". Or something to that effect...I can't remember off-hand.  So anyway, sure enough the one item came and was delivered to the back door by our UPS driver.

Fast forward to today.  I got a UPS Alert that another package was delivered to the back door today.  I've been getting packages pretty much daily, but this was the 2nd "big ticket" item I ordered.  I hadn't put a note out today, however.  He just remembered that I had little ones at home and took it around back.  I was so thrilled with his conscientiousness, that I immediately called UPS Customer Service.  I told them I realize that this time of year, they're probably pretty used to getting complaints, but I felt that if someone does a good job, they should be recognized for it.  So, with a little bit of information, they were able to track down my driver, notify his station in Gainesville, and about 15 minutes later, I got a phone call from a nice woman at UPS in Gainesville, telling me my driver's name is "Mark" and she was happy to forward my comment on to him and that she was going to personally notify his manager.  She told me they hardly EVER get these type of calls and she thanked me repeatedly for taking the time to let them know.  It made me feel really good to just be able to say "thank you", in a rather public way, for taking the time to take the box around back where the girls wouldn't see when they got home from school.  I hope it made him happy to hear that it definitely didn't go unnoticed.

Next big "event" today was that, as I was coming out of a Site Inspection for CIS at around 3:15PM, I remembered that today was the absolute deadline for Ava to turn in her application for STEM Academy (by 4:00PM today).  It needed to go to the middle school, and I'd given the application to Delaney during Thanksgiving Break.  It occurred to me, though, that Delaney likely didn't remember to turn it in as (1) she had her wisdom teeth removed last week and was pretty much out of it the entire time and (2) she left school early yesterday due to not feeling well.  I know they are VERY strict about the deadline and immediately started texting Delaney to ask her if she'd remembered (as an aside, Ava had tried to turn it in before Thanksgiving Break because I didn't read the instructions carefully and thought they were to be returned to the elementary school). Anyway,  Delaney did not respond to texts or phone calls, the clock was ticking and I was well over an hour from home.  I called Thad and he was in Canton (also probably an hour drive).  I then called the school, spoke with the secretary and she said she didn't know if Ava's application was turned in - but that I could *email* Ms. Mellette (the director of the STEM Academy) to ask her.  I asked the secretary if she could call Delaney's classroom and ask her if she'd turned it in, and she said "I'm fixin to call buses - I can't".  UGH!!!  Not her fault - she's a sweet lady - but I was so panicked. 

So, next.....I called Jake.  God bless Jake....he picked up his phone right away, while waiting in the bus line at the high school (approximately 3:42 PM).  I asked him if Delaney was on the bus yet and he said no - that the bus hadn't come yet but they pick up the middle school kids first and then would be getting the high school kids.  I said, "When the bus gets there, can you PLEASE get on it....find Delaney, get the application, then get OFF the bus and RUN - as fast as you can - to the middle school with Ava's application?  It HAS to be there by 4:00PM".  He said "sure".  I also called Cari-Ann (3:45) to see if the bus driver wouldn't let him back off, if she could run to our house and get it from Delaney then take it back to the middle school - and she was going to do that for me, but wasn't sure she'd be through car rider line in enough time.  Long story short....Delaney texted finally, apologizing that she hadn't checked her phone and also HADN'T turned in the application.  She told me Jake had it and he would make it to the school in time.  And, sure enough, he did.  God bless him...he ran as quickly as he could to the middle school - in the rain.  And he walked home after....in his bare feet :-(.  Apparently, his shoes had gotten completely saturated and it was just easier to go barefoot.  I could have cried, I was so relieved and thankful.

But, just when I thought I "won", I get an email about an hour ago from Ms. Mellette, advising me that they did get Ava's application but I had forgotten to include her most recent report card.  *sigh*  So, I have no idea what this means.  I printed it and scanned it and emailed it right back to her, but I'm so worried that they'll reject her application for not meeting the 4:00PM deadline.  I'm just sick about it :-(.

**UPDATE** Ms. Mellette just sent an email (10:45pm) and said it was no problem whatsoever.  Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment